Digital Signage Statistics 2023 | Benefits & Infographic
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015. It has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness to include relevant digital signage statistics for 2023 and downloadable slides.
Savvy business owners and managers understand the value of digital signage and digital signage software. It is a powerful visual communication tool that engages audiences, improves efficiency, and reduces operating costs.
With digital signage, businesses are able to streamline communication with their employees and customers. This improves engagement, productivity, and profits.
In fact, below are 100 digital signage statistics that show a healthy ROI is achievable across industries:
Digital Signage ROI & Growth Statistics
- The global digital signage market reached a value of $23.5 billion in 2021. It should see a CAGR of 6.3% between 2022 and 2031, reaching $63.3 billion by 2031.
- Digital signage reaches 135 Million people a week.
- North America has the largest market for digital signage. The region also expects the highest growth in digital signage (42%), followed by Asia at 17%. Growth is slowest in Africa and Australia/New Zealand at 2% and 1%, respectively.
- The adoption of digital signage solutions is on a steady rise, with 60% of enterprises without digital signage in their stores planning to invest in the technology within the next two years.
- More than 67% of digital signage users expect digital out-of-home advertising to increase in the next two years.
- 33% of users have between 1 and 24 digital signage screens, while 15% use between 15 and 99 screens. Another 12% have 100 to 149 screens, while 8% have between 250 and 999 digital signage screens. Only 9% of users have above 1000 screens in their company or enterprise.
- 80% of brands that use digital signage record an increase in sales, up to 33%, with a greater appeal towards epicurean product purchases as opposed to planned purchases.
General Digital Signage Statistics
- Digital signage used in public venues has a broader reach, with up to 10% of American residents aged above 12 seeing the content as compared to 41% on Facebook or 43% on the internet.
- Digital signage improves queue management and reduces perceived wait times by more than 35%.
- 53% of digital signage end-users expect to increase their digital signage spend in the next two years.
- 65% of end-users plan to increase their digital signage spend on acquiring new displays, while 42% will spend more on content production.
- 51% of end-users place their screens as entirely customer-facing, while 9% have employee-facing digital signage screens.
- As technologies evolve, the cost of installing digital signage decreases. For instance, between 2004 and 2010, the cost of deploying and maintaining a hundred-node digital signage network for three years decreased by 50%.
- The average attention span is 2.8-8 seconds.
- In fact, 90% of the information transmitted to the brain is visual.
- Interestingly, the human brain can identify images seen for as little as 13 milliseconds.
- Visuals get 94% more views than text-based information.
- After three days, people retain 65% of visually presented information.
- Namely, digital signage has an astounding recall rate of 83%. This figure is almost double the information retention rate for traditional advertising.
- Interestingly, digital signage has a 47.7% effectiveness on brand awareness.
- Digital displays capture 400% more views than static displays.
- Indeed, 75% of travelers recall seeing a digital billboard within the past month.
Corporate and Employee Communication
Forward-thinking companies prioritize communication and value their corporate digital signage solutions. Truly, clear and engaging communication has a direct impact on engagement, which has a direct impact on productivity, which impacts the bottom line.
- Indeed, 56% of internal communication teams are considering increasing the use of digital signage within their organization.
- 50% of communications professionals use digital signage as a channel.
- Digital signage helps in the workplace with employee recognition. Employees who feel appreciated are 60% more inspired to work harder.
- For example, digital signage enhances internal communication, which leads to 25% higher employee productivity.
- In fact, companies that communicate effectively are 4x more likely to report high levels of employee engagement.
- 93% of effective communication is nonverbal, while spoken words account for only 7%.
- Disengaged employees are 12x more likely to leave their job within the current year.
- In fact, presentations that use visual aids are 43% more persuasive than those that don’t.
- Truly, 68% of US customer signage reflects the quality of business and its products.
- Over 25% of US companies place a high priority on “multichannel campaign management”, which includes digital signage campaigns.
- For example, 47% of employees say they don’t know what their company’s core values are. Digital signage is the perfect tool for a modern workforce – letting everyone know what the organization’s values are.
- Organizations that adopt digital tools for an untethered workforce realized a 67% increase in productivity.
- For example, 73% of learning institutions see the benefits of digital signage in education as crucial for the future of communication.
- 70% of colleges have installed digital displays on campus.
- 87% of educational institutions, including K-12 schools, have already deployed digital signage systems to streamline communication as well as their lesson plans.
- 100% of colleges and universities with digital signage solutions use the technology for institutional news and announcements. Additionally, 86% use the technology for digital menu boards in dining facilities, while 57% use it for classroom scheduling and emergency notifications. Other common uses include wayfinding (43%), room signs (43%), and third-party advertising (14%).
- 96% of students say that video increases the learning experience.
- Applying technology to education helps students to reduce stress (45%), improves confidence (46%) and efficiency (57%), while also helping students to better prepare for class (67%).
- 97% of students prefer to receive information via digital channels rather than from a non-digital source.
- About half of all teachers surveyed (53%) say they would like to use digital learning tools to teach more often; 44% would like to use them about as often as they use them now.
- 96% of students notice digital signage immediately and can recall its content.
- Over 40% of schools don’t have instructions for what to do in an emergency posted in their labs and residence, highlighting the digital signage for emergency messaging demand in schools.
Retail digital signage allows businesses to make it easier for their customers to complete their shopping journeys, on their own terms. Of course, by making technology a crucial part of the buying experience, retailers get numerous gains that improve the bottom line.
- The best live places for reaching consumers with digital signage are grocery stores (28% of American residents), shopping malls (27%), medical offices (20%), and large retail stores (20%).
- 80% of customers choose to enter stores after seeing digital signage.
- 64% of digital signage users cite increased customer engagement as the main benefit of digital signage.
- 57% also say digital signage has helped them improve customer service.
- 43% of retailers consider digital signage important to in-store personnel training and see it frequently. 22% deem it essential.
- 84% of retailers believe that digital signage creates more brand awareness compared to traditional channels.
- Digital signage creates a 46% increase in customer satisfaction.
- Digital signage bumps up the average purchase amount by 29.5%.
More Retail Customer Interaction Display Advertising Stats
- It brings about a 32.8% growth in repeat buyers.
- Digital displays can create a 31.8% upswing in overall sales volumes.
- 75% of respondents agree that sales-driven content initiatives like offers and promotions, product advertising, personalized content, and value adds are also most likely to succeed.
- Digital signage has an immediate impression on the customer. It has a high impact in that 59% of those who see digital signage content want to learn more about the product or topic.
- 70% of Americans say they saw a digital billboard or some form of digital signage in the past month.
- Of these, 47% can recall seeing a particular message.
- 71% of consumers feel that advertising on digital signage stands out more as compared to online ads.
- 46% agree that digital signage advertising is more prominent than television ads.
- Digital signage raises brand awareness and complements a company’s marketing strategies. Over 40% of buyers say that digital signage can influence their purchasing decision.
- 76% of American consumers enter stores they have never visited simply because of the signage.
- Similarly, 68% of Americans have paid for a product or service because its signage caught their eye.
- 19% of customers made impulse purchases after seeing digital ads.
- Customers spend 30% more time browsing products in stores that have deployed digital signage.
- More than 60% of customers make buying decisions at the point of sale. Digital signage technologies are widely used to influence these decisions.
- So, implementing digital signage technology can increase footfall by up to 24% in retail stores.
- The effective deployment of IoT-based healthcare technologies could help the U.X. save more than $300 billion.
- 70% of hospitals now provide digital communication systems.
- 64% of physicians believe the IoT can help reduce the burden on nurses and doctors.
- 75% of caregivers and patients who view hospital messaging on digital signage systems say that the content enhances the hospital experience and provides helpful health information.
- 78% of patients say they actively seek digital health solutions whenever possible.
- 52% of patients get some health information from digital signage.
- 75% of those viewing a digital sign in the hospital could recall at least one message.
- 83% of patients spend a significant amount of time interacting with a hospital’s digital content.
- 27% of patients found doctors via digital messaging.
- Clinics using displays often see an increase in business between 15% and 150%.
- In fact, hospitals waste $12 billion/year from inefficient communication.
Digital menu boards give restaurants the option to easily change their menu and speed up the ordering process. Furthermore, it also provides a stimulating and engaging platform to display and update their specials.
- 74% of customers in restaurants say an effective menu display is their top priority. Digital signage allows you to create different easy-to-read menu designs without the need for reprinting.
- 73% of diners agree that restaurant technology improves their guest experience.
- 95% of restaurateurs agree that restaurant technology improves their business efficiency.
- Indeed, digital signage creates an average increase of 3% in margin per transaction.
- Quick service restaurants using digital menu boards account for up to 20% of the digital signage industry.
- In fact, 29.5% of restaurant customers say digital menus are more likely to influence their purchase of a product.
- Nearly 30% of customers find digital menus influential for the purchase of a product.
- 8 out of 10 viewers made an unplanned purchase of something promoted digitally in a restaurant setting.
Workplace injuries, illnesses, and deaths cost the US $170 billion annually. Indeed, that’s a significant amount of money that can be invested back into businesses.
- Nonetheless, safety and health communications through channels like digital signage result in reductions of 20% or greater in their injury and illness rates.
- 93% of manufacturers use digital signage when displaying their products in trade shows and exhibitions.
- Nine out of ten manufacturers use digital signage solutions to reinforce employee training and increase productivity.
- In fact, digital signage improves workplace engagement by 22%, leading to 41% fewer quality defects.
- For every dollar invested in a meaningful safety solution, companies realize $4 – $6 in benefits.
- 67% of employees are better at completing tasks when information includes text with images or video.
- Over 60% of banks use digital signage for customer communication. 75% of the messages conveyed are related to banking, while the remaining 25% are unrelated to banking.
- In fact, 95% of retail banks are satisfied with their digital signage deployment, citing that the payback period for investing in the technology can be as low as eighteen months.
- Only 21% of banks produce their digital signage content in-house. Interestingly, the rest prefer outsourcing since it is more effective.
- In fact, 70% of banks target their messaging by branch.
- Churches can spend up to $6,500 in annual photocopying, paper, and print costs. Digital signage reduces this cost by 76%.
- Interestingly, there has been a 72% rise in the introduction of technology in Boomer-pastored churches.
- 52.9% of religious organizations use projectors and other forms of digital signage to deliver sermons.
- 4 in every 5 worship venues have websites and are continually installing modern technologies to attract and engage the broader community, especially the younger population. The web pages can also be displayed on digital signage.
- 7 out of 10 practicing Christian Millenials read scripture on a screen. Scripture can be displayed on digital signage to improve engagement during sermons.
- 46.1% of churches say that using social media is their most effective method of outreach. Social media feeds can be displayed on digital signage to increase the reach of messages.
Digital Signage Statistics: Infographic & Download
So is the technology worth the effort? The digital signage statistics in the PowerPoint slides and infographic below say yes.
Download the 50+ Stats that Prove Digital Signage ROI
Share this Infographic on your Site
Please include attribution to mvixdigitalsignage.com with this infographic.
Ask Our Team About:
- Requesting a demo to see how Mvix CMS integrates with the content apps you rely on for more effective communication
- Getting a customized quote for our full-service solutions including software, hardware, & services
- How Signature Care can boost your communications strategy and yield positive results for your business
Looking for technical support? Open a support ticket here.